The Lyre Legacy
Official rules for Initiative are the following:
- Character with the highest Agility score goes first. Plus 1 to Agility if the character has the Quick Draw accent.
- In case of a tie, Intellect score is used as the tie breaker
- If there are ties on Intellect, Psyche score is used as the tie breaker
- If there are ties on Psyche, randomly determine order
I don’t like this system for a number of reasons, not the least of which the likelihood that a moderate party size (of 3-4 characters) against an equal number of combatants would result a series of ties that call for one or more of the tiebreaker rules above.
Additionally, once initiative is set, it probably remains the same for the remainder of the combat. While there are rules for changing your initiative order, they only allow for lowering your position, there’s nothing to increase it.
In the one on one mock battles I’ve run, sometimes a devastating first strike forces an opponent to keep on the defensive for the remainder of the fight.
House Rule for Initiative
With that in mind, here’s my house rule for initiative.
- Determine the character’s Initiative Modifier by adding the character’s Agility + Intellect + Psyche stats and +1 if the character has the Quick Draw accent.
- Roll D10 and add the IM to the result. In case of a tie, randomly determine who goes first.
- Re-roll initiative each round.
Hopefully this will allow initiative to go faster and re-rolling each round will prevent a first strike from dictating the whole battle.